Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So Here Come the Politics


#46 - My Fiesty Self - My fiesty side comes out rarely, so it is always a surprise when she is suddenly there. Today - I got on the bus - and as I walked to my seat the man pictured below asked me, "Whose signs you got?"

"John Marty."

"Waste of time."

Well, instead of feeling crushed, that fiesty woman inside woke up and thought,

"Why would you tell anyone who is participating in the political process that they are wasting time? I can think of a lot of common activities that might be considered a waste of time, but supporting someone who is a beautiful honorable man who is working hard to help others could not possibly be a waste of time." Then I thought, "Hey, this guy just gave me something to be grateful about in my gratitude blog!" Then I thought, "It would be so great if I could take his photo.......but I am not that fiesty."

Well, soon after I had this thought, the person behind and in front of me left the bus and no one else seemed to be paying attention. So I did it!



And it doesn't stop there. When he got off his cell phone (which he'd been on the entire time) he approached me and asked some condescending yet somewhat interested question. I answered. He said he had spoke to John Marty that day. I asked if here were lobbying. No, he's a "political writer."

"Is that why you discourage people from doing what they believe in?" I asked in a genuinely pleasant voice because I was feeling happy. He said then that he and John Marty disagreed about things (obviously)...and that was my bus stop.

#47 - John Marty - just because I genuinely trust and like the guy and he is in our government and he is trying and that is simply beautiful.



#48 - Phone Conversation with Rukavina supporter - I was calling delegates tonight and one woman I called said she was making phone calls for Rukavina (also running for governor). She wanted to get my last name because we live in the same district and she would need to call me. I gave her the info on my Dad too so she didn't need to call him...and we just had a wonderful conversation. I learned some more about another candidate from her and why a bus route got changed....

#49 - Corporations are Not People - I called a man named David tonight. He is the CEO of a small (1 person) contract software engineering corporation. He and his friend Kurt, who is also a CEO, are going to the government center this weekend to apply for a marriage license for their corporations. (It took me a moment on the phone to get the joke in that, but he wasn't joking.) He has called ahead and the Government Center will accept the application and refer it to the county attorney. The county attorney will deny it and tell him to take the letter to the district court...

If corporations are people (as the supreme court recently ruled) they can get married.

David asked if I had been to the recent town hall forum with our state senator. I hadn't. Our state senator said that all the laws on the books that limit corporate donations are now unconstitutional.

"So when will Corporations literally be able to vote?" David asks. Well, this weekend his corporation is going to try and get married!

#50 - A Quote About Wild Women



"Your wild woman is your authentic, powerful self. She's not the wild woman whom the media and society have exploited to mean someone who's lost her center, who's out of control. No, wild woman is your centered self, your divine self, the woman you were born to be."


Lorraine Mejia-Green
The Loft Literary Center Summer Catalog 2010

http://www.melissaharris.com/
(the card)

1 comment:

  1. Hi tammy,
    I'll be happy to recommend some singers. I don't know if you like but here's a list:
    - Joaquin Sabina
    - Manolo Garcia.
    - Antonio Orozco
    - Julieta Venegas (Mexican).
    - Alejandro Sanz

    And I'll put some groups and soloists:
    - Fito y Los Fitipaldis (I love them).
    - El canto del Loco
    - Nena Daconte.

    Well if I remember any more I promise to recommend it. Nice to meet you and sorry for my horrible english.

    Veronica.

    ReplyDelete